Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I Guess I've Just Got That Type of Face

That is, the type of face that encourages attacks by crows.  About a week ago I was stirred from my morning-walk-to-work-reverie by a crow dive bombing my head.  It didn't rip out my hair or anything.  Just buzzed me a bit.

Yesterday, on the walk home from the office, I was buzzed again by a crow.  It was at the same intersection, but was it the same crow?  We'll never know.  I mean, how do you pick out a crow out from a lineup?  "Yes officer, the one with the feathers - that's the crow that done it!"

Today, as I set off across the intersection, I kept my wits about me.  Sure enough, as I hit the halfway point on the crosswalk, ZOOOOM!

The crow would make two more passes at me before I was out of its attack zone.  It did continue to eye me warily as I progressed down my street back to the relative safety of my apartment.  (I own a cat, so the term "relative safety" is not one I toy with here - she's not called Demon Kitteh for nothing.)

After the attacks had abated I texted one of my friends with my strange story.  His response, "You know crows can remember human faces for up to a year?"  What?!?!?!?!  Well, it's true.  Scientist Bernd Heinrich of the University of Vermont seems to think the behavior is a “byproduct of their acuity" - in particular, their ability to recognize and differentiate between individual members of their own species.  


So what does all of this mean for me?  It's time to buy a helmet. 

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps it's time to eat a little crow.
    (oh; almost sorry I said that. almost. :) )

    ReplyDelete